Recommend kit list
What sailing kit do I need?
We always send out a gear list for each race. For some events shorts and shirts and a sturdy pair of non marking shoes is enough.
For offshore and long races you will need more sailing clothing and kit below is a typical list of offshore race gear, by no means exhaustive, it should give you some idea. We can assist in gear selection and provision from our suppliers Gill
Please remember that we are racing so keep gear to the absolute minimum! Please think carefully about what you bring and pack your gear in a soft collapsible bag, not a suitcase, and no bags with wheels please as they do not fold away. Bring a 20-25lt dry bag for kit stowage onboard. The hold-all that you use for travel will be stowed in shoreside stowage. Your storage area on board will be 20-30 liters volume.
Sailing Kit Note: Sailing at night or in poor weather can be cold. Bring light thermals as they help wick moisture away if you are sweating, they are also breathable and comfortable to wear under foulies or as alternative to T shirts, avoid cottons and non breathable gear, as it does not dry.
Recommended offshore kit list
- 20-25 litre dry bag
- Wet weather gear top and trousers
- Thermal/breathable base layer x 1 (thin)
- Fleece top
- Deck shoes (You shouldn’t need boots but thin waterproof ‘Sealskin’ socks area good idea)
- Sea boots (optional)
- Sailing gloves x 1 (optional)
- Warm hat • Sun hat
- Sailing knife and small pocket torch or (preferably) a head torch (red lens)
- Sleeping bag and/or sleep sheet
- T-shirt x 3 preferably a quick dry, breathable UV protection type
- Shorts x 2
- Sunglasses x 1 pair with retaining strap
- Underwear as required
NOTE – the Caribbean is usually hot! Most of your sailing (day and night) will be in shorts and T shirts with occasionally a light spray jacket. It does rain heavily on occasion and may be ‘chilly’ at night hence the need for light thermals and a fleece top.
You are advised to bring one set of travel clothes to get from the UK to the Caribbean to UK. Any extra gear you may wish to bring to the Caribbean for onward holiday or travel will need to be stored separately by you as we won’t take it on the yacht whilst racing.
- Travel clothes (trousers/skirt, top, shoes, socks)
- Travel or sports towel
- Your glasses or contact lenses and solution
- Personal prescribed medication and any required sea sickness medication
- Wallet or money
- Passport and other documentation if required
- Mobile Phone and charger • Book/novel
- Walkman or MP3 player (Do not bring 100’s of CD’S, there is an MP3 player on board)
- Toiletries etc Please do not bring massive amounts of lotions and potions, over the counter medication (paracetamol etc) make up or creams etc. Pack a small wash bag please.