ExpiredRolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018
- Sydney to Hobart
December 17, 2018 - December 30, 2018
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
About the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018
The Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 is an epic event that starts on Boxing Day in Sydney Harbour. It is well known in the yacht racing world as a really tough event where huge seas and strong winds are often a feature and where completing the race is a real achievement. It comprises six hundred miles of offshore racing across the Bass Straits to Hobart in Tasmania an Island off the South Coast of Australia.
The Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 starts in in Sydney Harbour and finishes at Constitution Dock in Hobart
Our Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 campaign includes a week of race training in the week before Christmas and the race starts on Boxing Day, You should be finished in Hobart in time for New Year’s Eve. All in all it is an incredible way to spend this holiday period.
17th December to 23rd December – Race Training
24th & 25th December – Lay days
26th December – Race start
ETA: Hobart 29th/30th December
In 2018 we have an exciting yacht for our crew to get their hands on. We will be racing on a TP52 – a high performance Nelson Marek designed TP52.
The latest TP52 box rules allow for wider beam & transoms making them even quicker than the first generation (e.g. Hooligan ex ETNZ). However Wot Eva remains extremely competitive with her lower IRC rating of 1.333 as demonstrated by it’s recent IRC results:
- Line Honours in PHS Class at Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2017.
- Line Honours in PHS Class at Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2016.
- 4th at the Cabbage Tree Island Race 2010.
- 2nd at the Sydney Short Ocean Championships 2010.
- 7th at the Rolex Trophy 2010.
- 11th place before retirement at the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2010.
- Boat type: TP52 (generation 1)
- Design: Nelson Marek
- Builder: Goetz
- Launch year: 2001
- Previous names: Yassou, Glory & Wot Yot
- L.O.A.: 15.85 m (52”)
- Beam: 4.18 m
- Draft: 3.17 m
- Weight (empty): 7448 Kg
- IRC maximum displacement: 8431 Kg
- Keel: fin with 5000 Kg bulb
- Construction: Carbon
- Mast/Rig: carbon 9/10 with twin swept back spreaders and rod rigging. Carbon boom
- Engine: Yanmar (rebuilt 2008) with sail drive and 2-blade folding prop
- Fuel: 120 L diesel
- Deck Gear: Harken race package with single pedestal set-up (6 speeds) and 8 winches
- Crew : up to 15 for IRC racing
- Accommodation: 10 pipe cots
- Mainsail : Hoods D4 88 sqm
- Jib: Norths 3DL 60 sqm
- Spinnaker: Doyle A2 260 sqm (biggest)
Details of our Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 package
You will train on the stunning Sydney Harbour in the run up to the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018. You will practice all aspects of offshore yacht racing and learn your roles and how to handle the yacht in tough offshore conditions. During the training period you will spend time offshore on a Sydney to Hobart Race qualifying passage, and also help get the yacht ready for its Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 campaign with the many dockside tasks imperative to a successful offshore yacht race.
- Experienced skipper and crew
- All yacht costs and Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race entry fee and insurance
- Full provisions on board during racing and lunch whilst training
- All safety gear including personal EPIRBS
- Branded team shirts and branded team jackets
Why we love the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race
This race is an absolute must!
We have competed in the Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race on many different yachts and have experienced such varied conditions that it is the one race where we want to go back year after year just to “get stuck in and have another go!” Because the race takes part over the festive period it also has such a great feeling of occasion and celebration attached to it.
Upon arrival in Tasmania you can wind down with sampling some truly fabulous food and wine in the Taste of Tasmania festival which showcases delicious produce from all over Tasmania and then cap it all off watching the spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks displays. You may even make it back in time to return to Sydney for their world famous fireworks. The Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race is a bit of a rite of passage for all serious offshore sailors, to quote a rather tiddled Aussie in the famous Customs House bar “how many Hobaaaaarts have yoooou done?!”
Looking for more info?
How to Book
Rolex Sydney to Hobart Race 2018 Crew fee is £7695.00
Please contact us directly to discuss this opportunity and secure your crew place.
Phone +44 01983 242 033